The Position: Controller
Why West Village GC?
West Village GC is becoming the most highly regarded High-End General Contractor in New York City and we believe that building is an exciting and rewarding endeavor. West Village GC has been featured in national magazines and newspapers such as the New York Times, TimeOut, Luxe Magazine, Robb Report, KK Magazine and Elle Décor.
We have achieved this through constant adherence to our Core Values, processes, discipline and structure striving to make sure that every experience is impeccable for our clients and highly rewarding for each team member.
We offer a comfortable environment where learning, accountability, teamwork, communication and attention to detail are valued.
We are seeking a Controller that wants to be part of the decision making process within our executive team and that will help develop and execute our growth plan for the next 5 years and to run and administrate the financial planning, bookkeeping and accounting functions of West Village GC.
If you want to be part of a highly functioning team that has not been late on a project for over 2 years, with clear lines of communication, a companywide commitment to excellence and a 30% year on year growth rate we are looking for you.
West Village GC’s culture is the foundation of our business and our culture is based on our Core Values. Our Core Values don’t stop at the end of the work day or week. They surround our lives and guide us on how we conduct ourselves both inside and outside of the business environment.
Do It Once
Plan ahead, do it once and get it right. Accuracy is everything.
Own the outcome of your actions, choices and thinking.
Speak up! Be candid even when it’s difficult. Communicate in more detail and more frequently than anyone expects.
Always be learning
Be open-minded, encourage new ideas from your team and pursue both personal and professional development. Read!
Care about yourself, the team and our clients. Care about every detail.
Our high growth rate reflects a company wide entrepreneurial attitude, innovative problem solving, organizational excellence, team focus and processes. We pride ourselves on our culture and a “team first” mentality and we believe that understanding and maintaining boundaries strengthens the relationships we have with sub-contractors, architectural/design teams and our clients.
West Village GC has clear mission: to be the most highly regarded construction team in NYC.
If this speaks to you and you would like to become an active participant within a dynamic and rewarding, progressive team; please contact us by email. We would like to meet you!
Accounting Functions -
- Keep principals aware of all actual and projected income, outgoing expenses, profit margin and overall financial stability of WVGC. Data breakdown required weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually.
- Manage payroll for all WVGC employees on a weekly and bi-weekly basis.
- Manage all subcontractor requirements including master subcontracts, W-9’s and insurance certificates.
- Ensure accounts payable are paid in a timely manner.
- Ensure that client billing goes out in a timely manner and correct.
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly.
- Complete periodic bank reconciliations.
- Create and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Work with outside accountant and auditors to complete tax and standard audit requirements.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Support the project managers with project cost to date information.
- Manage and maintain all insurance plans including General Liability, Workers Compensation, Health and Auto.
Human Resources Functions –
- Maintain all employee records.
- Process on boarding for all new hires
- Process employee termination procedures.
- Coordinate all employee training and certifications.
Information Technology Functions –
- Manage the companies information technology needs.
- Act as the project manager for any information technology projects.
Legal Functions –
- Review all legal documents.
- Assess any potential risks and mitigate where possible.
- WVGC principal has enough information to completely understand the overall financial stability of the company at all times
- WVGC remains financially sound enough to weather fluctuating economies and construction phases
- Qualified candidate should have a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or business administration or 10 plus years of comparable experience.
- Excellent computer software skills, specifically: Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word; QuickBooks, Adobe Acrobat.
- Commensurate with experience in the $80K - $110k per year range + bonus up to 15% of base.