Remodeling Kitchens and Bathrooms - What You Need to Know Part II

This is part two of a two part series about kitchens and bathrooms and what you need to know if you’re either
A) Building a kitchen or a bathroom within an existing kitchen, bathroom space, or

B) which is this video. What happens if I’m moving my kitchen and bathroom to a different part of my apartment? What if I’m keeping it where it is, but making it bigger or keeping it where it is and just changing its shape in some way?

Changing it, moving it making it bigger adds a whole different level of complexity to the process.

Now you need to get involved with an architect.

You need to get your plan stamped approved sent to the Department of Buildings and a full work permit.

Now what does that mean?

Well, if you’re doing a kitchen or bathroom making it bigger, you’re going to be moving more than 45 square feet of sheetrock, you’re going to have to do a DOB full review filing.

And to do that, your architect is going to need to draw it up.

This is going to take a month to three and cost somewhere between $15,000 and $30,000.

Most of that cost is going to be for the architectural stamp, which allows it to be processed through the Department of Buildings.

So $15,000 is going to be for the stamp and another $10,000 to $15,000 for the design and the drawing etc.

Similar for the bathroom, but if you’re doing both at the same time, obviously your costs are dramatically reduced.

Once you have your architectural plans, they go to your building for review.

Buildings don’t like you to move a wet room, kitchen or bathroom, over a dry room, living room, a bedroom, anything else that doen’t have water in it really.

So, before you start the process, check with your building and check with a building’s reviewing architect whether you’re allowed to do this.

Your architectural team, your contractor will be very familiar with this conversation and will be able to help you with that process.

Assuming they will let you do it, then the process is architecture, process the building, and send it off to DOB via your expediter.

The expediter is the team of people that processes your documents with the Department of Buildings.

An expeditor is going to charge you about $5,000 and the process with the DOB is going to take about six weeks.

So in total, you’re looking at a $15,000 to $30,000 number with your architect, and a month or three and you’re looking at a $5,000 number with the expediter and about six weeks with the Department of Buildings.

I hope that was useful. If you want more information, give us a call or click on the link below.